Wednesday 18 April 2012

Independence Day...

Today my motherland celebrates 32 years of independence from colonial rule so i have decided to mark this event with my fellow country men friends. I was born and bred in a beautiful country in Southern Africa called Zimbabwe from the word Dzimba Dzamabwe meaning House of Stone.

                                 

This is the map of my country

                                  
and this is the flag.

Each colour on the flag represent something. Green represents the agriculture of the country. Yellow, the wealth of minerals of the country. Red, the blood shed during the war. Black the ethnicity and heritage of the people. White triangle, peace.  The bird is the national symbol of Zimbabwe and the red star represents all hopes and aspirations of the countries future.

In Zimbabwe you can find one of the 7 Wonders of World

                                     
 The beautiful and spectacular Mosi- oa- Tunya famously known as Victoria falls. These falls are fed by the Zambezi river, in this river you can find hippopotamus, crocodiles and so much more and if you are a water sport fan you can whitewater raft, kayak and more. The Zambezi river also feeds Lake Kariba which is the worlds largest man made lake.

The ruins of Great Zimbabwe (Dzimba Dzamabwe)

These ruins have to be seen to be appreciated because they cover a large area and the photograph does not do it justice.

All the Big Five animals can be found in Zimbabwe. The African Elephant, Black Rhinoceros, Cape Buffalo, Lion and Leopard. The best place to see all these animal is Hwange National Park

                                              
Pungwe falls not as popular as Vic Falls but just as beautiful.

 You can also find beautiful mountains, bird gardens and woodlands, hidden caves and more national parks. There is so much i can write about my Motherland but i do not want to bore you so i will leave it here.

Writing this post has made me homesick, i plan on visiting all these beautiful places and more on my next trip home.


Happy Independence to all my fellow country men. To celebrate this event i am hosting a little party for me and my friends. I will try to remember to take photos of the food and show you another time.

Whatever you will be doing have fun because i will.

Enjoy your day. xx


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! The Victoria falls are amazing and I love hearing about Zimbabwe! Often, you only hear about the difficult parts in Zimbabwe's history in the news, such as Mugabe and all his terrible acts, but it's lovely to hear about the beauty! As I mentioned before, our priest is from there (Harare I think was where they were before leaving). I've never been to anywhere in the whole of Africa, I'd love to!
    Hope your party is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, the party was great. I specifically chose to only write the good bits about my country because of the bad press that we usually receive. I hope one day you get the opportunity to visit Africa, Zimbabwe in particular great places to visit.

      Delete